Saturday, March 21, 2009

Culture Shock Post Addendum

A couple days ago I decided to post something on culture shock because (1) it is therapeutic for me to write and (2) if my blog is to be a true reflection of this experience, I thought I should at least mention or acknowledge the bad along with all of the good.

However, I fear that my culture shock post may have given off the wrong idea. Culture shock is something that happens, to some degree, to everyone who moves to a new country. I even experienced some symptoms of it while studying abroad in South Africa. The good thing is that it's not a continuous feeling. We are not and will not be stressed out, angry, upset, etc. for 6 months straight. It comes and goes and as time goes on we know that it will come less and less frequently.

Generally, I am very happy to be here. Some days are just not good days. (maybe a couple rough days a month) I get irritable or little things upset me, or I feel overwhelmed.... but it has never made me wish that I didn't come or made me want to go home. There were lots of reasons that I wanted to live in another country and one of the reasons was that it is a challenge. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but the good far out weighs the bad. Life is exciting right now, everything is new; I'm learning and experiencing new things every day. This is exactly what I want to be doing in my life right now.

I just wanted to clear the air to make sure that no one is worrying about us. We are happy. The world is our oyster and we shouldn't be wasting time doing something that doesn't make us happy... and that's why we quit our jobs and moved across the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment